Skip to main content

Grilled Spice-Rubbed Flank Steak


















What you will need:
2 tsp Chili Powder
3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
3/4 tsp Ground Coriander
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 (1-lb) Flank Steak, trimmed
Cooking spray
4 Lime Wedges (optional)

What you need to do:
Combine the first 5 ingredients.  Rub spice mixture over steak. Place steak in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal bag.  Refrigerate 8 hours or over night.
Preheat grill.
Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill steak 5 min each side or until desired degree of doneness.  Remove from grill rack.  Cover and let stand 5 min. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.  Serve with lime wedges, if desired.  Should yield 4 servings.

Fern's Recipe Ammendments:
I followed the recipe up until the grill for 5 min each side.  I didn't time each side of the steak, and I should have to share.  I left each side of the steak on the lower grill rack for 3 or so minutes, and I then moved the steak to the upper grill rack for a couple of minutes before removing the steak from the grill and letting it stand inside.  I did end up with a perfect Medium Rare steak this way.  Note, I have never before, in my life, grilled this particular cut of meat.

Before putting my steak on the grill I created a salad to serve it on. I made a bed of mixed green (spinach, romaine, and spring mix).  To that I added a variety of veggies: carrots, celery, radish, purple onion, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, sugar snap peas, and tomato.  I also made a cilantro lime vinaigrette dressing.  When I lived in College Station, there was a restaurant that had a Southwestern Steak Salad that was one of my favorite meals.  Lettuce and veggies topped with a small sirloin and corn tortilla strips and choice of dressing. They had a cilantro lime dressing that was SO GOOD.  I think that I have found one that is very close to that.

Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
1 Jalapeno, seeded
1 Clove of Garlic
Zest of 1 Lime
Juice of 1 Lime
1/3 c Cilantro Leaves
1/4 c Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Pulse all in blender to desired consistency.

Fern's Recipe Ammendments:
I made mine in my Cuisinart Food Processor.  If you don't have one, please get one.  It will change your life. Anyway...I also added some ground coriander for a little more flavor.  Another side note: I have found a great tool for seeding jalapenos! Its a sharp, jagged edged, V-shaped deal on the other end of my melon baller.  Cut the top of the pepper off and stick that in there, run it around the outside, dump the seeds and veins, rinse the pepper, and viola! you are done!

Fern's Steak Salad:
I sliced my Grilled Spice Rubbed Flank Steak against the grain in thin strips.  I laid a serving of steak (1/4 of the grilled steak) on the bed of greens and veggies and sprinkled some feta on top.  I served the dressing on the side. (another random tip: to get the flavor of the dressing but not all of the fat/calories and soggy salad, dip your fork in the dressing before spearing each bite with your fork)

Note:
Flank steak is one of the 29 lean cuts of beef. Because it is so lean and it is often a very thin cut of meat, it is recommended to marinate it to promote flavor and tenderness. Grilling is also the recommended cooking method for this particular cut of meat, so summer is the perfect season to enjoy it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes