Skip to main content

King Ranch Chicken and Buttermilk Pie

I know that my goals over there read, blog at least 2x per week...still can't cross that one off of my list. Nor, can I cross off don't eat out for a week--eating is such a social activity. Maybe if I wasn't so social AND like eating so much, the number inside my jeans would be much smaller...that and beer is also a social activity...and I like beer and I am social...ANYWAY...

My dear friend Brandi asked for pie baking lessons. We arranged an evening to make said pie. Flavor: Buttermilk. She did very well. We made crust from scratch, and she rolled it out herself. Although, she did get to use the Cuisinart to do the crust. I really wanted to make her use a fork or a pastry blender thingy. She wasn't so much a fan of scooping the lard, but ooooo lard makes such lovely crust. Prior to pie baking she asked for a list of ingredients. I said lard...blah, blah... and she said, Crisco? And, I said no...LARD. Lard makes such amazing crust, but that's another day. Brandi's crust was lovely! She did a really good job and she didn't let me push her out of the way with my impatient take over nature. Yes, I had one of those holy crap I'm my mother moments! We put the pie in the oven and sat down to a supper of Black Box Wine and King Ranch Chicken and Grey's Anatomy....what a good evening! The custard got a little too brown on the top, the crust was a little to brown around the edges, and there was a hole in the middle, but the pie is pretty darn good! That's my least favorite part of a custard pie... you have to wait for it to cool. Needless to say, she had pie and milk for breakfast and I had a piece with my mid-morning coffee. YUMMO!!

King Ranch Chicken. I've still got it--the King Ranch Chicken Magic. You see, my KRC is famous in approximately 6 states. My original recipe came from a good friends mom, but I have amended and adjusted and added to and made it my own. I can't believe I'm doing this...

King Ranch Chicken

4 chicken breasts (or an equal equivalent of chicken)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel
1 small onion diced
Garlic or garlic powder
Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
1/3 large box of Velveeta cubed
Shredded cheddar
Corn tortillas
Jalapeno slices (optional)

Cook chicken and cut into small cubes. In a large bowl, mix cooked and cut chicken with soup, rotel, onion, spices (to taste), and cubed Velveta. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish. Place a thin layer of chicken mixture on the bottom of the pan, cover with a layer of corn tortillas. Continue with another layer of chicken mixture, add a layer of shredded cheese and jalapeno slices (if desired), cover this layer with tortillas. Continue until all of the chicken mixture is used. Top with one final layer of corn tortillas. Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes. Cover the top of the casserole with more shredded cheese and bake until melty.

**note this recipe is not for the faint at heart or the lactose intolerant**

Good luck! Have a great weekend! My weekend consists of a date with my dissertation (I can't get any other kind of date) and a Saturday full of football (the Big 12 has a great day laid out for me!!)

Comments

  1. Sounds AWESOME!! I must make this. I'm going to try to figure out how to shrink it down to a recipe for 1 (since I'm pathetic and left all my friends in TX ;) )

    tsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken sounds amazing!!!

    Just wanted to let you know I have a giveaway on my site.
    http://www.theprovidentwoman.com/?p=1379

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken sounds awesome, and maybe we'll be able to get the pie recipe out of you too. I buy store bought - I know shame on me.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes