Skip to main content

Breakfast Berry Cornbread

What you will need:
1 c Yellow Cornmeal
1/2 c Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 c Fat Free Sour Cream
1 Large Egg
1 Large Egg White
1 tsp Grated Lemon Zest
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 6 oz container Fresh Raspberries or 3/4 c frozen unsweetened rasberries

What you need to do:
Preheat oven to 375 F.  Spray 9 in pie plate with non stick spray.
Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in medium bowl.  In another bowl, whisk together sour cream, egg, egg white, lemon zest, and vanilla.  Add sour cream mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir just until cornmeal mixture is moistened.  Spoon into prepared pie plate.  Sprinkle evenly with raspberries.
Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.  Let cool on wire rack 5 minutes.  Cut into eight wedges.  Serve warm.  (it's also great cold out of the fridge with a glass of iced tea for an afternoon snack, just saying)

Fern's Recipe Ammendments: 
I have used Splenda rather than Sugar, as well, I used Light Sour Cream rather than Fat Free.  I also used Egg Beaters (egg substitute) in place of both the egg and the egg white.  I don't have raspberries on hand, but I have used blueberries and frozen mixed berries.  I think that I prefer the blueberries.

Note: This is a Weight Watchers recipe that has found its way to my go to's.  I have modified it slightly to fit what might be in my pantry, but the WW PP values have stayed the same (near as I can tell)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes