Skip to main content

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms with Horseradish Dipping Sauce

I found this recipe the other day on http://neo-homesteading.blogspot.com. I don't even remember what chain of events got me there.  That ever happen to you??  It's a common occurrence to me, and lately I've realized it's not just pertinent to web browsing, but life.

Bringing the rabbit back around the tree....

Last night in the search for something different, something un-heavy, something delicious for dinner (or supper, however you want to think about it), I looked through a couple of cookbooks and remembered this recipe that I'd emailed to myself earlier this week.  I do that a lot, email recipes to myself from sites I find.  The recipes end up in my email, consequently on my phone.  My phone later ends up on the counter with smudges on it due to my using it as a recipe card.  This practice needs to stop.  It's probably not sanitary and it's definitely not good for my phone.~~~~sorry, rabbit must have taken a left to get to the pond~~~heading him back down the bunny trail.....

I pulled up the recipe and realized that I had most of the ingredients in the pantry.  Stroke of luck!  I'm living remotely these days. The small town grocery store closes at 6.  It's 7:30 by this point.  It's too hot to eat before then, even if I haven't been working outside.  The heat and the late eating have got to stop.  It's not good for me. (off track again, sorry about that...)

The Recipe (finally):
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms with Horseradish Dipping Sauce

6 medium sized portobello mushrooms about 2" in diameter
4-6 button mushrooms
extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper

8 ounces crab meat

2-3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
2-3 tablespoons chopped chives
1 egg
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons mayo
1/2-1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
*fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


In a bowl combine crab meat, pepper, chives, egg, mustard, mayo, old bay (I use a good deal of old bay). Stir to mix and add panko, do not add too much you just want enough for the mixture to bind together. 

remove stems from the mushrooms, using a spoon hollow out the centers and then toss mushrooms with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Using about 1-2 tablespoons of filling stuff crab filling into the mushrooms. Place on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is golden. You don't want to over cook the mushrooms or they will be too moist and the filling will become soggy.

The above is the recipe as published on the above blog address.  Fern am mended it slightly to make it happen.


I had 3 portobello mushrooms about 4" in diameter, so I used them.  I sprayed the shrooms with Olive Oil cooking spray and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (I was saving on the Weight Watchers Points Plus with this move).  I drained and rinsed 2 6 oz cans of crab meat.  One was lump and the other was just white crab meat.  Probably not ideal, but it's what I had on hand.  I didn't have a red pepper, but I had a yellow one.  I used it.  My chives in the herb "garden" aren't very plentiful, so I used green onion.  Again, to save on the WWPP, I used 1/4 c of Egg Beaters rather than an egg.  I also used Light Mayo.  I thought I had Old Bay Seasoning.  I didn't.  I Googled how to improvise some at home.  I learned that Emeril's Essence is a good substitute.  I tried that.


Horseradish Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
2-3 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon horseradish (or to taste, but I use A LOT)
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce 

Stir to combine. For a fuller fat version you can use more mayo or substitute the mayo in this recipe for horseradish cream.

Again, Fern am mended the dipping sauce....
I did use Greek Yogurt.  It was good.  I also used Light Mayo like I did with the crab mixture.  I used just over a tablespoon of horseradish.  I tasted it after 1 Tbsp and decided it needed more.  I also went for the full teaspoon of hot sauce.

I served a stuffed shroom with a salad of mixed greens and veggies (cucumber, radish, onion, bell pepper, carrots) topped with blue cheese crumbles and croutons and light blue cheese dressing.  I paired my summery supper with a glass of Llano Sweet Red wine.

It was good.  I'm thinking if I ever re-make the recipe, I'll definitely use the Old Bay that the recipe calls for.  I also think that it needs a little something, although I'm unsure what that might be at the moment.  Let me know what you think, please.  That is if you try it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

'80s Ladies

I apologize for my absence, but we'll cover that later. On a recent road trip (day trip), for work, I made a little list in my head, let's see if I can recall the jist of it all. I worked up a list of things that we should all have in our memory books, and on my list, thanks to my iPod, I have the '80s ladies. No, not the great friends from the dorm and I that re-worked the K.T. Oslin's hit from the '80s. That is definitely another story for another time. As I was cruising across the Lone Star State in my Gold Lincoln Town Car on Friday of last week, I spent a lot of time being thankful that it was a solo mission---I did a lot of singing and dancing in that car that day. Some of the favorite stops made by my iPod were on the Ladies of the 80s. Let me just share with you right now that my musical stylings were utterly amazing and a force to be reckoned with, not to mention the moves that accompanied them. Tell me, who doesn't know their way through &