Skip to main content

I'm Back

Wow...it's been awhile. Not too much has happened since my last post, except LEVI & LAUREN GOT MARRIED. And, it was beautiful! Brandi and I started our wedding weekend Saturday morning. We packed my car and were careful not to forget what Brandi called "the kit". "The kit" consisted of 2 varieties of vodka, bloody mary mix, gin, tonic, lime, 3 varieties of beer, and a bottle of wine. "The kit" came in more than handy!
We were put right to work upon arrival. We helped to haul the last load of stuff to the reception hall, and little did we know what lay ahead. We set the tables with the linens that Lauren's Dad and Levi had spent the two previous days pressing. We got to help decide the best location for the band and the keg. We got to help in the kitchen. Lauren's mom had taken on the responsibility of the reception meal herself. Family friends were cooking the meat and potatoes according to her recipes. The rest of us were frantically preparing hors d'oeuvres and salads. My station was to prepare these delicious little cucumber slices topped with a mixture of cream cheese, blue cheese crumbles, and coarse ground peppercorns and top that with crispy bacon crumbles. DELICIOUS! Brandi could not believe that the family had taken on such a task of doing the entire wedding reception. I however could. Have you met my mother?!
We swept (drug) Lauren away to get dressed. Brandi and I were more wound up than Lauren, which is not surprising. We got the girl all fancy and in her gown and down the isle! They said "I Do". The reception was BEAUTIFUL. The food was DELICIOUS! I am also confident that everyone had a FABULOUS time. If you went away hungry or didn't have any fun, I'd say that it's your fault!
I did learn several things...always pack a kit (my Cajun friend is so wise), do not panic (the wedding cannot start without a bride), and I should not wear a dress with a sash thing that ties in the back. About that last part--I liked my dress and my fancy shoes. It was a major feat I thought to make it in and out of the restroom without leaving the back of my dress in the top of the Spanxx. I did not account for long bow tails in water...yes, that happened...it was clean toilet water, but it nonetheless happened! Leave it to me! ONLY FERN! I also learned that for my dad's sake, should I ever get married, I should decide on a destination wedding!
The wedding was beautiful! The marriage licence was signed! We all had a great time! It was a great weekend!
12+ hours together and this is the only picture of Brandi, Lauren, and I.
Not too much has happened in the world of Fern this week. I've been writing this dissertation and working on a job application. There was big news back home...A FLOOD! Yeah, that doesn't happen often. The rain is very much appreciated, however, the hail and the torrential water is not! Ditches, fences, and roads washed out. Dad no longer has any wheat. It's still raining...2 days later, it's still raining! I wish that I was home to see it...to see that much water, to see creeks that haven't ran in years, to see cows belly deep in grass! Mom has emailed me pictures...here's one in the hills...yes, that's hail on them there hills (it's not sand, it's not snow, it's hail--dad took this the morning after the storm)
Well, it's back to writing for me!
Tonight is fried fish and boiled shrimp...I'm responsible for the salad. Tomorrow is Saturday Stuff (cleaning, laundry, errands, etc.), but my reward is a free concert in the park. One of my favorite artists, Jason Boland. Lawn chairs, ice chests, snacks, friends...it'll be fabulous, I can feel it!
If anyone wants to send me a white buttermilk cake with butter cream icing, it would be appreciated!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

'80s Ladies

I apologize for my absence, but we'll cover that later. On a recent road trip (day trip), for work, I made a little list in my head, let's see if I can recall the jist of it all. I worked up a list of things that we should all have in our memory books, and on my list, thanks to my iPod, I have the '80s ladies. No, not the great friends from the dorm and I that re-worked the K.T. Oslin's hit from the '80s. That is definitely another story for another time. As I was cruising across the Lone Star State in my Gold Lincoln Town Car on Friday of last week, I spent a lot of time being thankful that it was a solo mission---I did a lot of singing and dancing in that car that day. Some of the favorite stops made by my iPod were on the Ladies of the 80s. Let me just share with you right now that my musical stylings were utterly amazing and a force to be reckoned with, not to mention the moves that accompanied them. Tell me, who doesn't know their way through &