Skip to main content

The Great Skunk Caper

Last night I spent some time outside...unloading a giant cooler of BEEF, replanting and salvaging the bovine caused destruction from last week, Miracle Growing my "garden", rearranging pots, and endangering my own health and well being by standing on a 3 step step-stool in the carport with no supervision and no one to call 9-1-1. It was a beautiful evening. My carport is one coat of paint away from being a fantastic summer lounge, minus the optional Japanese lanterns. Oh yeah, and I need to get rid of the swallows nest. Damn birds. I'm afraid to knock it down...stuff will fly down on me. Yes, I can take whatever comes out of a cow, but not a birds nest. I'm okay with that. I did, however, spray it with wasp spray while I was spraying wasps in the rafters of the carport. I really would like a BB gun to shoot them (the wasps, not the birds). That's taking it a little far...that's me turning into the crazy old lady. I'm well on my way, I've also purchased a giant sun hat complete with floppy brim! I plan to wear it on my green thumb adventures, and maybe to work on days that we are pregnancy checking cows in the Texas summer sun. Anyway, back to the birds...hanging a large fake owl from the rafters was one of the instances I shouldn't have been climbing high, but I did anyway. I have a fierce independent spirit.

After I had put my gardening toys away and showered off the soil and grime, I set out to cook one of the new steaks that I had just brought home. I love that...trying out a new steak. It was just a ribeye, but it was new to me and my freezer. (For where the steak comes from on the critter, click on the word ribeye above, for nutritional information and cooking tips go to http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/meatcase.aspx). It was late, I was tired, so I fixed some sweet potato fries and steam-in-bag sugar snap peas with it. Not very fancy, but very good. I used some spray butter, a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese, and a shake of garlic salt on the peas...very good. As always, I seasoned my steak with only Cavender's Greek Seasoning.Sometimes, I'll use coarse ground pepper with the Greek seasoning, but not last night. I grilled the steak outside to perfect medium rare.

Here's where the Skunk Caper begins...and ends quickly. I had stepped out to turn the steak (once...put the steak on and turn it only once), and I had stepped outside of the carport to take a look around, check out the clouds (hoping for rain) when I saw him...the skunk. There was a fluffy lil skunk not 30 yards from where I was standing, just beyond my far yard fence. I ordered Newt (my trusty blue heeler dog and sidekick) into the house. Once in the house I ran around frantically looking for the gun. Yes, I own a gun (3 in fact). Dad gave me a .22 rifle for my birthday this spring. It's been very windy when I've had time for practice, and I haven't fired it yet. The 410 shotgun needs cleaned. All of that mess left me with a .22 pistol. I found it, where it always is, and could not find the ammo. I don't have kids, I can keep the gun with the bullets...really, I can. Apparently, I don't. I grabbed the gun and the ammo and off I went, leaving Newt inside. Please understand that I'm a crappy shot, so the odds that I was actually going to shoot this varmint and have to figure out how to haul it off were very, very slim. I didn't have a clean shot from the front of the carport. The fence, the tree swing, maybe the tree were all possible obstacles. I could have went around the front of the house on foot, but what if he chased me??! I jumped in the pick up and drove around the front of the house. This is where it is re-affirmed...I couldn't sneak up on a corpse. The skunk is running away, I'm fumbling to load the gun, and I'm thinking about how my steak may end up over done all to do with this damn skunk that I'll never get shot because I'm more like Elmer (Elmira) Fudd than Annie Oakley!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes