Skip to main content

Just a Few of Fern's Favorites

It's Sum..Sum...Summertime and Fern's calendar is no more (or less) out of control than it usually is.  With a full calendar this week, not to mention, she can't find the notebook with little notes of blog inspiration, she'll share with you a few of her favorite summer recipes as the #1 grilling day of the year approaches.

Since the #1 Grilling Day of the Year has been mentioned, let's just clear this up right now--get BEEF on that grill, please.  There are 29 lean cuts of beef that won't break a diet, and there are many on that list that won't bust a budget either!  That's the unique thing about the responsibly raised beef in this country, there are options for everyone: conventionally raised and fed beef, grass fed beef, natural and even organically raised beef.  Please find something that fits your kitchen and your lifestyle and fire up that grill!!

I mentioned favorite summer recipes, I should mention that I make some of these ALL year long.  DISCLAIMER...some of these recipes may come from The Pioneer Woman.  This is not an organized promo for her site. I just like her recipes.  They are easy.  They are delicious.  They are easy, and they can usually be made with things most people have on hand.  Also, there are links to these recipes.  I have a handful of delicious summery things that do not come with recipes.  If I share them, please be patient with me.

PW Restaurant Style Salsa.  Make it.  Let it meld in the fridge.  Eat it all. Repeat.  Along similar lines is Pico de Gallo.  PW has a recipe.  I don't use it.  I learned how to make it from an old Hispanic man while spending a Spring Break near the Texas-Mexico border.  I can't tell you proportions, but I can tell you that it takes near equal parts of diced tomato and onion, jalapeno to taste (I usually use at least one pepper), cilantro to taste (be careful, not everyone LOVES (or even likes) this tasty herb), lime juice, and salt (I even get crazy and use garlic salt too).  Add to the fiesta and make guacamole.  PW has a recipe.  Fern has made up her own and has made it famous in a sheep barn too (another story, another time).  To make Fern-style guac, make a batch of pico.  Mash avocados.  I like chunky guac, so I end up with a 60:40 to 50:50 mix of avocado to pico.  Add more lime juice, it helps keep the avocado from browning and is tasty.  Some sources will say leaving the avocado pit in the bowl also helps slow browning.  I also add more salt, usually garlic salt as I'm folding the mashed avocado and pico together.  Taste it often as you mix.  Find your way.  Add something, subtract something, just own it.

PW Key Lime Pie.  It's super easy.  I doesn't even require key limes.  It's delicious!  Did I mention that it's delicious.  I've only made it once. I will make it again, and I'm confident that the recipe could be lightened up by using low-fat graham crackers in the crust and low-fat or fat-free sweetened condensed milk in the filling, for instance.  Whichever way you choose to make it, I assure you that it will be yummy and will make it on your "to make again" list!  I even cheated the system and used a store bought graham cracker crust.

This has gotten a little longer than I had planned, so I'll leave you with this--fire up the grill and get some BEEF on it, please.  While the grill is heating, snack on some salsa and some guacamole.  Wrap up your day with a slice of Key Lime Pie.  Just do it.  After all, it is summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes