Skip to main content

Who is Famous?! We Are!!!

Who is on The Pioneer Woman's blog today?! Brandi, Robynne, and I are! Last week I posted about the three of us road tripping to Austin to the book signing. This morning I wake up to find us on the blog, and we look fabulous!! I promised to write more about our adventure...Here. We. Go.

I would like to mention that I took notes. I find myself doing that quite often, so that I may better tell the world what I have just witnessed.

We arrived @ Book People 3 hours before the signing, and as luck would have it Ree was going to be early and sign books at 6, speak at 7, and sign more books after the talk. We acquired wristbands for the 6 o'clock "showing", bought our books, and perused the book store. I just love book stores--books, people watching, books, nifty little coffee places in the corners, books...I looked over the cookbook, I became very hungry, I added to my ultimate wish list, I was overcome with awe, and I drank the strangest iced tea ever (that's a story for another day). I took a picture of this picture in the cookbook. Who wouldn't want to someday have a pair of handmade spurs made for the father of their children that say "Daddy"?! I personally first need to get a date before I can make any progress towards this, and again, that's all for another day.
Eventually it was time to stand in line for the actual signing and to meet Ree. We were approximately 6 people back in line, thankful that we were ahead of the women with like 10 books to sign and regretful that we were behind the woman with two children whom she did not make mind. At this point my Facebook status read "I may eat my own young." These children were flopping and flailing around on the floor. On a dirty bookstore floor. Two words: Swine. Flu. The mother was encouraging this appalling behavior by taking photos of the wild and woolly little beasts. Finally they opened the doors and we entered the signing room. The oldest of the two out of control youngsters began running and shrieking in circles. At this point Robynne looks at me and shushes me. We finally make it to the head of the line and meet Ree. She's very nice. Her children are precious. And our jaws drop as Marlboro Man enters the room! She signed our books. This is the point where someone on her "staff", okay in her family takes our picture. This happens to be the picture that is posted on The Pioneer Woman today!

Her talk was very casual and very informal and conversational. She admitted her culinary weakness is bread baking. I can make bread. I announced that to the girls. I was contemplating what to pack to take to Oklahoma and be their personal bread baker until she added something about artisan bread. I am not capable of artisan anything. My cakes fall and I fill the hole with frosting. I call my pies "rustic" because the top crust is all lumpy or torn. I like to do casseroles and dips because presentation is not necessarily first priority. I have culinary demons. I have lots of non culinary demons. She also announced that she is writing another book! Another book due out February 14, but I can't remember if she said 2010 or 2011. She's publishing Black Heels!! I loved that she stood on the stage and was real. She told us about her Spanxx. Spanxx by the way is one of the most lovely inventions ever, but you would only know this if you suffer the influence of personal image and/or weight demons. I happen to. I love Spanxx. I told Brandi last night that she just needs to be "fat" (or chunky or fluffy, however you'd like to think about it) for just awhile to better understand my need for a vegetable tray at a party. Fill up on veggies to make yourself feel better about the dietary sins you may later commit. Back to PW...her blog does not lie. There are babies everywhere at her book signings. Babies and cute pregnant women. At the book signing we happened to be at, there were also women who allowed their children to publicly nurse. We didn't like it. We voted. We said that we would never, never ever, sit together in a circle and breastfeed our children, no matter how much we loved one another or how close of friends we were...NO. That really did happen. Front and center in front of the stage in the center of the book store. New topic.....Nikon cameras were everywhere. Nikon should give that woman camera upgrades for life for the marketing she has done for them!!

That's all on the book signing, but that's not the end of our adventure. As we are cruising downtown Austin for a place to have dinner, we pull up to a red light, Robynne is driving and comments "Center of Scientology" (which was directly on our left) as Brandi tells her we cannot go left. Robynne then says, "Oh Lord." I pipe up from the back seat, "Actually, I don't think he's in there."
We get turned around and headed the other direction. We're at another red light when Brandi exclaims, "We passed that naked man on the way to the book store!!" We were facing a men's store with a giant poster of a very pretty, very buff man in is underwear on the window. Robynne and I look at her and laugh as she then states, "Hey, I recognize landmarks." Oh how I'm going to miss times like these as I move on in 7 days! (Again, another post another day)
We find a place for dinner. The Magnolia. We walked in and sat in the waiting area in the front of the restaurant. People are staring. Maybe it was my leather jacket and big hair. Maybe it was Brandi's concho belt. Maybe it was because all of us were carrying leather purses and wearing leather boots. We may never know, but we were getting looked at. Dinner was delicious. Brandi and I ate omelets and drank wine with our eggs. That's right, we did, and it was good!
The ride home was just as eventful as the rest of the trip as we randomly broke out in song. We made up new lyrics for old songs. Brandi discovered karaoke on her phone. I have yet to sing a song to the group. I'm hoping they forget about my "homework" assignment and let it pass!

The trip to the book signing was great! Ree is kind and upbeat and fun. Her children are beautiful, I'm especially fond of the youngest boy. I'm excited to try the recipes in my new cookbook. Brandi and I both made recipes that we found on The Pioneer Woman or Tasty Kitchen for a Christmas party last night. They were a hit! They've become my new go-to place for fun new things to make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes