Skip to main content

Jelly of the Month Club, Part Deux

Cows are fed. Water's not froze, but I thought I might be for a short second...then I got back in the truck. For a Southern dog, Newt sure likes the current sub-Artic conditions of home. He also likes to think he's a cow dog, NOT QUITE. He did try hard though. I should be a proud dog mother...proud that he actually knows what a cow is since he is a Blue Heeler that has lived the majority of his life in a back yard in a college town. Okay, all of his life except for Christmas vacations and a few summer trips home.

Christmas. It's Christmas Eve, and I cannnot seem to catch the Christmas Spirit. Guess it's a little late. I do have a piece of advice for everyone that I know and everyone that I don't...DO NOT MOVE, DO NOT PLAN A MOVE, DO NOT RELOCATE ANYWHERE NEAR THE END OF YEAR! It's a crappy experience. The stresses of maintaining life's routines and packing and preparing for a move just kind of squash a girl's Christmas Spirit. I did do some shopping. Nearly everyone has a gift by now. If you don't have a gift, please be patient, maybe your shortage of a Christmas present from Sam will yield in a Valentine, maybe a St. Patty's Day trinket at the rate I'm going.

It is good to be home. Mom and Dad bought a new mattress for the spare bed (aka my old bed) and it is lovely. The tree is beautiful. I didn't get put up any of my decorations this year due to the BIG move, and I think that also put out any spark of a Christmas Spirit.
From time to time, I have been reminded that it's not the presents nor the tree that makes the Season, it is the blessings that have came our way over the course of the previous year--our families, our health, our friends, our homes, and our pets for instance.
  • I am so grateful to have a family and a "family" that loves and supports me no matter how bitter or deranged I have been or no matter how random I get. For instance, I finished up some shopping the other day and bought myself a new green stocking cap with a little bill. I love it. My dad hates it. My mom laughs and turns the other way every time I put it on. It makes me happy for the moment.
  • Anyway, back to blessings...I'm thankful for my health. I'm thankful that my cousin asked me to be in her wedding (which is in one week) and that I stressed out about fitting into my bridesmaids dress, that I started boot camp, that I overhauled my eating habits, and as a result I do feel better about myself and about life and I'm 6+ inches smaller with hopes to continue this shrinking streak!
  • I am so grateful for my many friends. I am especially thankful for their kindness and their encouragement over the course of the past year. Some days I do not know why they hang in there. I am thankful for the 6 people that sacrificed a Thursday last week and helped my parents and I load a moving truck, and I'm thankful for the 6 others who although they live far away sent text messages offering encouragement and saying that they would be there if they could. We have created our own little "family" of sorts and it has been so much fun making memories. Also, not to forget those friends who although we are not as close on the map as we once were, we did leave a mark on one another's hearts.
  • We should all be thankful that we have somewhere warm to sleep at night. I am also a little excited to be out of a miniature duplex and into a real, big girl house. I cannot wait to be settled in. Either way, thankful that Newt and I were in out of the weather and warm (or cool) and dry.
  • Pets. It's amazing the "therapy" that pets offer. Although, mine stresses me and my friends out more than any dog should. I am so thankful for Newt. I am so glad to have become friends with Chad, and grateful to Chad for the gift of Newt, who by the way turned 6 last week (Newt, not Chad). Buy those dogs an extra bone or that cat some new fishy treats this year!

Merry Christmas from the flat lands of Western Nebraska where at 6:45 am it was 1 degree Fahrenheit outside with a breeze and about 2 inches of new snow on the ground. Stay warm this Christmas and remember why this time of year is so very, very Special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes