Skip to main content

Weekend Recommendations (and Pre-Weekend Ramblings)

It's Friday!! Okay, so that really doesn't count when all I have looming ahead of me is DISSERTATION! However, I do I have some weekend recommendations brought about by recent experiences. **please note, any day of the week is fine**

1) Boxed Wine. A recent find is 'The Black Box' boxed wine. One box of wine is equal to 4 bottles of wine. At my local H.E.B. it worked out to $5 and some change/bottle! Score! I tried the Cabernet Sauvignon. Not too shabby. The box claims that wine will stay fresh for up to a month. I say, "Who keeps open wine around that long??!!"

2) Eggs. Eggs were my staple one week recently. I think I ate eggs at least 4x one week. Not just any ol' eggs--I made scrambled eggs with tomato, onion, feta, and basil...scrambled eggs with tomato, bacon, mushrooms, onion and blue cheese...scrambled eggs with pico de galo and cheddar and avocado. The eggs with tomato, basil, onion, and feta were by far my favorite. Don't go thinking I did this in the morning...this was supper! And, I paired it with red wine.

3) Potato Salad. I have mentioned the Pioneer Woman oodles of times on here. She has yet to fail me (knock on wood). A couple of weeks ago I was invited to some friends for a day of food and football. Needless to say, that day the food was much better than the football! They were making pork loin which was delicious, and I decided to make potato salad. I tried the Pioneer Woman's recipe that she posted a while back. It was that or attempt my Grandma Helen's recipe. Man, Helen could make potato salad, cake and sugar cookies...those were her three super kick ass things! I have yet to perfect any of the above. To avoid disappointment and take the opportunity to use my Cuisinart food processor. I am in love. I mean I L-O-V-E the machine. I have chopped veggies, sliced apples for pie, made pie crust, made gram cracker crust for cheesecake and then cheesecake filling, and grated potatoes for potato salad...I love that thing!! I just wish that it came with a setting to clean itself! Anyway, back to the potato salad....it was delicious and very easy. I recommend it! PW Potato Salad Recipe.

4) The roast beef sandwich. I have perfected the grilled sandwich, the roast beef sandwich, the grilled roast beef and cheese sandwich. Picture it: deli roast beef with provolone and blue cheese between two pieces of wheat bread (would have been amazing on rye, but Sara Lee Light bread is my friend, I like rye better but my hiney needs Sara Lee Light) buttered on the outside. Toasted/grilled in the skillet. AMAZING! Served along side mushrooms in au jus. Don't be afraid to dunk in the mushroom juice, don't be afraid...do it...you will be happy that you did.

5) PW Mystery Rolls. Canned flaky biscuits, blue cheese, butter, and twenty minutes. That's all I'm saying about that besides...TRY IT NOW! Soooooo yummmy....even those who are not blue cheese lovers ate them like they were going out of style. Next time I make them, and yes, there will be a next time, I'm using more blue cheese.

6) Fall TV. There are so many new shows out this fall. There are so many good shows back this fall. My DVR is definitely earning its keep!
  • Castle. Love it! Mystery writer, cop, crazy random crime...pretty much makes my Monday!
  • NCIS Not so wild about the spin-off NCIS: LA, but I love the original!
  • The Good Wife I was in love with it before I watched it--Mr. Big from Sex and the City, Carol Hathaway from ER, and Grams from Dawson's Creek, really now....
  • Gray's Anatomy I'm very curious to see where this season takes us...there's a lot going on, lots of changes, I know where I'll be on Thursday nights from 8-9
  • Private Practice Oh my goodness!! The season premiere last night was intense!
I've watched a few other new shows this fall, but the jury's still out or I have yet to watch what's stored in the DVR. (Trauma, Modern Family, Cougartown, The Forgotten, Eastwick, and I know that I am forgetting some)

7) College football!!!! I love fall, it brings cooler temps, changing colors, and Kirk Herbstreet. Oh how I love having coffee every Saturday morning with Kirk and the boys on ESPN Game Day. Which reminds me, I need to check my "College Pick'Ems" and hopefully redeem myself from a lowly 22 pt performance last week. Let's all say something together now, GOOOO BIIIIGGG REEED!!! And now, WRECK 'EM TECH!!!


This post has gotten a lot longer than I had planned. It's Friday and I'm headed home for a little nap, only to wake up and digest some statistics and work on some dissertation. Oh how I long for the end to come. Energy. I need energy and inspiration. I can find both just not when it comes to this dissertation. Damn.

As I continue to forge onward with a dissertation and pray that the right job will come to me and that I don't stumble (too many times) on my chosen path, I leave you with this---what's inside your heart?? What is at your core? What do you love? What is your passion? What inspires you to be at your best?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes