Skip to main content

Sorry to have stayed away so long....

Sorry to have stayed away so long! Life's been a crazy roller coaster as of late, and I told myself that we would only blog on "good" days and some days I let myself feel guilty that I was going to blog when I had other things to do. Well, I still have other things to do, but I have a lot of things to share...in fact, my list has outgrown a Post-It...time to get it on "Only Fern"!

For starters, the below horoscope is one that is for my sign, but I stole it from a friend's Facebook page. It's very applicable to my place in this life lately, and it made me go "hmmmm....".

Pisces (Feb. 19–March 20)

Sometimes I wish personality traits were something you could buy over the counter. If I were placing an order for you, I'd get an ounce of patience, a spoonful of confidence, and a maximum dose of perseverance. Those would yield success, whereas right now you're getting frustrated early, putting yourself down too much, and giving up long before you should. Luckily, these traits can be developed, even if you can't pick them up at the neighborhood drugstore. In some cases, it's as "easy" as pretending you have them already. If you can fake confidence, ignore your frustration, and just stick with this as if you were a stubborn Taurus instead of a flexible Pisces, you'll get to where you want to go—and consequently start acquiring those qualities for real.


More importantly...I've set a new personal goal...I'm outta this place at semester's end. I needed to give myself a deadline, I hope and pray to be employed by then, and I'm really, really tired of paying tuition. On the subject of goals, I've added a new box on the left of "Only Fern". I've titled it My 101 in 1001. I found a similar list on a blog that I follow and found a website that I think I have mentioned before--Day Zero. The objective is to create a list of 101 things (goals) that you would like to accomplish in 1001 days (approx. 2.75 years). I have until Thursday, June 28, 2012 to cross off my entire list. I don't have 101 things listed, but I have started. Which is farther along than I am at my attempt to become more physically active. A friend of mine has taken up running. She is doing the Couch to 5k running plan. I checked it out, and it didn't seem all that hard on paper, yes, I printed it out, hung it on the fridge, and that is as far as I've gotten folks. Minor disclaimer (okay, big line of B.S.)--it rained here for days on end). Initially I was impressed with my meager effort, but now it's time to get movin'!

Onto the list on the Post-It...as things have happened that I have found blog worthy, I have made notes on scraps of paper, in my phone, on pages of analysis for this darn dissertation and I condensed most of those I found on a Post-It last week. I have a penchant for Post-Its and should own stock in the company! I love them. I prefer the bright colored ones, but at this point I should also add that the actual Post-It ones are best. The bright colored generic ones don't stick as well to a variety of surfaces....necessary!
  • Hullabaloos Diner, Wellborn, TX. One word: DELICIOUS!!! It is a restored dining car with amazing food! A group of friends and I have taken to meeting there for brunch most weekends. We had stuck with Breakfast until this past weekend branching out into the Lunch menu, which was also yummy. I had the "train wreck fries" and oh my, sooo good. Picture it: french fries, cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions, and blue cheese crumbles with ranch dressing and/or catsup for dipping...oh yeah baby! It was a giant pile of fries, and I failed to eat them all. That is not saying much, as I don't know if we have ever finished anything there in one sitting. The "kitchen sink omelet" is my other fave--3 egg omelet with cheese, mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, bacon, sausage, ham, tomatoes; a side of home fries; and a biscuit---that has kept me fed for 2 days. Anyway, this fantastic little place has been featured on The Food Network's 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives' (click on that link for video)
  • A few weeks ago now, some friends and I travelled to a neighboring county fair to catch some great Texas Country and buy beer with poker chips...what can I say, it was a great Saturday night! Pat Green was playing. It was outside. He played some of my favorite "Old School Pat" songs from his early Pre-Nashville albums. Oh a happy place. We had a great place to stand, great view of the stage, out of the crowd, until....some woman climbs onto the wooden platform in front of us next to the guy with all the sound and lights controls and starts shaking her ass....I tried very hard to not let my new view take away from my happy place. I also discovered something about myself that night...I've gotten old. I went there to see Pat and listen to him play not watch rednecks dance and B.S. and try to find others of their kind to procreate with...seriously people--calm down and let the music move you! While on our county fair adventure, the only option for a rest room was a Portapotty...I don't think I've set foot in one of those fiberglass danger zones in like 3-4 years, and I remembered why....EWWWWWWWW!!!! I left the fair grounds thinking that I need a belt buckle with an eagle on it or maybe one that says Bodacious!
  • The coffee at school sucks. There's a coffee pot in the faculty lounge and the coffee tastes terrible! It plain red Folgers grounds, but there's something about it after its brewed with the water here through that coffee system that does it no justice. I try to get my coffee in before I get here and bring a to-go cup for good measure, but some days a trip downstairs is necessary and I am then met with the reminder as to why I don't go there.
  • I love the book "Lonesome Dove" and the movie "Lonesome Dove" and all things "Lonesome Dove"...I have a dog named Newt, I have pencil sketches of Gus and Call hanging on my walls, and I have recently discovered that I have a couple of friends with whom I can have a texting "conversation" that lasts for days that consists solely of "Lonesome Dove" quotations. It makes my heart so happy! Right now on iTunes---the "Lonesome Dove" soundtrack. Happy, happy, happy!
I have lots more, but this is enough for now....stay tuned for Fall TV, Cooking with Fern, and a little Fern Philosophy....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How has it really been THAT long...

I had no idea that it has been MONTHS since I posted last.  There are so many days when a blog idea strikes and the business of life takes over, thus the blog never happens. Maybe I'll add that to my 2016 plan.  Whatever 2015 was--I am determined to make 2016 a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a bit more mine.  I'm a living attempt to rework a lifestyle--to eat better, to plan healthier and to insert some exercise.  I hope to make more time for myself  to spend a bit more time doing what I enjoy whether it be taking pictures or cooking or writing.  I continue to dream of a horizon where I can watch a sunset, but until then, I'll keep on keeping on in the Midwest with an excess of trees, a lack of fine Mexican food and a shortage of good music and drink.

TGIF

TGIF by onlyfern featuring rubber shoes